Monday, August 6, 2012

Bikes Books and Better Living Redux


It’s been over a year since the bike trip ended. John has full time employment protecting our environment, (much needed and appreciated) and Andy is in Chile, temporarily working at an organic farm after having served as an ESL apprentice for several months. His current position is a precursor to a job working for an outdoor adventure company in Chile. All this follows his month-long visit for certification as a yoga instructor at an ashram located next to the Atlantis resort to kick off the New Year.

John and I traveled to Sebring, FL in February to compete in the 24-hour bicycle endurance race. We both finished second in our age groups and had the privilege of riding with my childhood friend and neighbor, Gary Reisfield, who I had not seen since the late 70’s.

Gary is a veteran of this and other races that test body, mind and spirit. It was our first attempt.  The race began with 3 laps around the 3.4-mile grand prix style auto racetrack, followed by a 45-mile out-and-back for the first 100 miles. It was somewhere in the midst of that loop that Gary, John and I shared the pulls in an extended pace line.  Gary would have fit in nicely on our trip, as he is an accomplished rider who is comfortable with silence, as well as engaging in our infrequent dialogues. At some point, the Florida sun blasts away the early morning mist, and John, Gary and I work together in silent synchronicity. Suddenly, Gary blurts out loud enough to be heard above the sound of the buzzing gears but not loud enough that the rest of the pack hears,  “this so fuckin’ cool”.

Forty years after playing stickball on the streets of Fleetwood and over thirty years after seeing each other, he and I meet in the early morning fog of Sebring, FL. I introduce him to my 22 year-old nephew and off we go into the dark, the beginning of a 24-hour odyssey.  The synchronicity of the moment meets the rhythm of the ride and Gary nails the moment with his perfectly timed and crafted phrase.

And so it goes for us after the ride of our lives. LA to Asbury Park was just the appetizer and here we thought it might be the entire meal, dessert included.

And so it goes…and keeps on going.

I have decided to revisit Bikes, Books and Better Living as a daily ritual in my life. The book I have written detailing the experience will be ready soon. In the meantime, I have had some things on my mind and thought I would write about it.
The trip taught me, among many things, that I am a writer and I love to write as much as I love to read.

So, the trip continues….

No comments:

Post a Comment